[Coco] DECB and BACKUP

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sun Aug 30 19:17:03 EDT 2015

Ron wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Is there a way to do BACKUPs in DECB without it clearing the contents of the
> BASIC program in memory?
>
> I'm trying to transfer many floppy disks to a CoCoSDC and the BACKUP command
> works great.  I wrote something that helps speed the process up, but the BASIC
> program is gone when the BACKUP operation completes.  I thought I remember
> reading something about BACKUP needing as much RAM as it can to do what it
> does.  I'm just looking for a way around this so the running program will continue.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Ron

That is a failure of the Tandy Disk Basic. If you are able to replace your Disk
ROM with RGBDOS or HDBDOS, then the Backup command will not erase programs in
memory. HDBDOS is available in a LOADM format for the Coco3 so you won't need to
burn an EPROM for that unit.

I can supply RGBDOS for a Coco3. HDBDOS with Drivewire access can be had from
https://sites.google.com/site/dabarnstudio/the-color-computer-drivewire4-hdbdos-nitros9-starter-kit

The easiest way to get many different versions of HDBDOS is by compiling
Toolshed. That however is not for beginners.

Robert