[Coco] Mechanical keyboard upgrades for the CoCo

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Wed Aug 26 00:40:10 EDT 2015

Well, look at it this way: The CoCo keyboard is a scanned matrix of rows and columns. Typically, the keyboard scan consists of setting a voltage on one of the rows (or columns) and then scanning the columns (or rows) to see if that voltage follows through which would indicate a switch closure (key pressed).  It doesn't matter what the layout is per se whether a CoCo or a PC style layout; the scanning software can still recognize which key (or keys) are being pressed at any particular time.  If the keyboard has 'smarts' it can emulate the correct row/column scanning for the target so that the CoCo is made to believe exactly what the programmer wants it to believe.  Now, it is true that some games and other programs use key presses that are not necessarily related to the character printed on the key but instead they are related to the key's position on the keyboard but there are also ways around that problem.  The cool thing about a CPLD (or FPGA) is that the keyboard can be created and made to work generally in the intended fashion.  Then, when complaints/suggestions come in the corrections/changes can be made in 'software' (or synthesis).

Dave Philipsen