[Coco] Mechanical keyboard upgrades for the CoCo

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Tue Aug 25 18:41:05 EDT 2015

I'm investigating the possibility of getting custom keycaps from WASD Keyboards now. Their prices are much lower at single quantity. One gotcha is that they don't custom-mold keycaps, so I'd be limited to the sizes that they use on their own keyboards. Only specific widths are available in each of the four rows of a contoured keycap set, and those widths don't match the sizes used in the CoCo 3. However, I think I've come up with an acceptable layout that's pretty close to the CoCo 3 layout, using only the sizes that WASD produces:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e7cosgo9swc6xwc/MJB-57-proposal-01.png?dl=0

I need to take more careful measurements of my CoCos when I'm at home, but from my pictures I think that there's just barely room for 15.0 units of total key width in the case cutout if I shift the keys over to the left a little bit.

So, this project may still not be practical, but it's not quite as dead as it looked last night.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/