[Coco] Mechanical keyboard upgrades for the CoCo

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Mon Aug 24 20:41:58 EDT 2015

> On Aug 24, 2015, at 16:44 , Barry Nelson <barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com> wrote:
>
> Re the stuck keys, you could try removing the key cap and then carefully spraying the key post with WD40, then put the key back and press it a few times. Don't soak it, just spray it lightly. Depending on the keyboard be careful not to lose the springs when you lift off the key.

I've only seen the insides of a CoCo 1 keyboard so far, so I don't know if the construction is different for the 2 and 3. But the CoCo 1 has rubber dome springs under each key which provide the spring action and also press against the membrane. I would not recommend using WD40 for this application. Depending on what kind of rubber is used, a petroleum product may attack it. Also, WD40 is a lousy lubricant, because it just leaves gummy wax behind when the volatile kerosene carrier evaporates. It's a fine water dispersant, but a lousy lubricant.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/