[Coco] de-yellowing cases?

Gabriel Holland yell0w_lantern at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 21 11:00:28 EDT 2015

Clear coat could be used to seal it after retrobriting.  I think there is a clear Krylon Fusion.

     On Friday, August 21, 2015 10:51 AM, Bill Loguidice <bill at armchairarcade.com> wrote:

 My only devil's advocate statement with using chemical methods to de-yellow
cases is that whether Retrobrite or some other technique, it's still only a
temporary solution, and the yellowing does return. Repeated applications
may in fact degrade the plastic.

My opinion is that while it doesn't look great, I'd rather keep my systems
yellowed in order to maintain the structural integrity. The alternative of
course is to get new cases manufactured, but that's almost certainly an
incredibly expensive proposition (not to keep using the C-64 and Amiga as
examples, but they're relevant; the C-64 Kickstarter succeeded, while the
Amiga 1200 one didn't--they're still going to try and proceed with the
project. Many of these newly manufactured cases involve either creating new
molds or recovering the original molds, either of which is wildly expensive
(the upcoming Retro VGS is using old Atari Jaguar molds for its case
design, by the way). I'm sure the CoCo case molds are lost forever.

-Bill

Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade, Inc.
<http://www.armchairarcade.com>
Authored Books
<http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Loguidice/e/B001U7W3YS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_1> and