[Coco] Tandy CM-8 Monitor Viewable Size

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Aug 21 10:59:25 EDT 2015

The viewable area of your screen, with your CoCo 3, is 320x225, even
though you'll rarely see that. A large set of modes specific to CoCo 3 use
320 columns (or 640 half-width columns), which is used in most CoCo 3
software, but there's also a software switch to increase the number of
pixel rows to 225 which is a lot less used. If I recall correctly, CM-8
has a lot less border in 320/640-wide modes than all CGA/EGA/VGA monitors
I've seen, and you probably should consider yourself happy with that.

It won't take much stretching before the 320/640-wide modes don't fit on
the screen anymore.

Also, stretching 256x192 to the equivalent of 225 or 230 rows will
increase the visible gaps between the real rows, because they'll still be
just 192 rows.