[Coco] Mechanical keyboard upgrades for the CoCo

Boisy G. Pitre coco at toughmac.com
Fri Aug 21 10:48:19 EDT 2015

I don’t mean to discourage others from looking at keyboard replacement solutions, but at Cloud-9, we’ve looked into this as well. I personally spent several months with a major keyboard key manufacturer evaluating their keycap creation services, as well as mylar manufacturers. To make a solid design would take considerable effort and investment. Getting that investment back in a reasonable amount of time is questionable.

Adding to the complication: while the CoCo 3 has one mylar design, CoCo 2 keyboards have at least three variations of mylar designs which are slightly different — enough to require the creation of three different mylars for a complete support regime.

The fact of the matter is that the Cloud-9 PS/2 keyboard adapter with a modern keyboard is still the most economical solution for keyboard replacement on a CoCo 3. Without that product, a replacement keyboard design would be much more attractive.

We’ve decided to invest in other areas of deficit in the CoCo market and expect to have some announcements soon.
—
Boisy G. Pitre
CoCo Projects Coordinator
http://www.cloud9tech.com <http://www.cloud9tech.com/>