[Coco] WAS new mylars, NOW PCB Design

Salvador Garcia ssalvadorgarcia at netscape.net
Tue Aug 11 16:14:06 EDT 2015

I'll start at the end:
"It’s a lot of fun building things,
isn’t it?  :)"

Oh yeah!!!

Thank you starting this thread.

I think my gravest error with my first board is that I did not use any decoupling caps. I knew these are important, but decided to not include them because my board gets it power from the PC's USB port. I should not have assumed that the 5v was clean.just because it had been "preprocessed" by the PC.

Way back then when I managed product design I got a chance to work with the PCB layout engineer and understand the the trails of getting everything routed. I captured the schematic using ORCAD and the engineer imported the nets into PADS PCB. The engineer then took up to 4 weeks routing everything. He initially would autoroute, but then would manually work with each one individually. Since there were 4 layer boards, two of these were reserved for power and ground and the other two for traces. This was akin to solving a complex puzzle, sometimes leading to a dead end. In that case the engineer would start from scratch to find another way to route. Usually the first 90% of the traces were no problem. It was the last 10% that provided a challenge and the last 2% that determined whether the board could be routed or not. At times the engineer changed the placement, taking into account any placement that was critical.

I learned enough from this engineer to know that various factors have to be taken into account, some of which you mention.

Fortunately, I did include a pseudo ground plane (meaning that I have a ground plane, but it only covers part of the PCB) so at least I can say I am headed in the right direction (even if I am not there yet. The ground plane covers all ground connections except one. I have traces on that layer too. As I learn more I hope to make the boards more efficient and robust.

Great tip on building your own component library. I had to do that to include an Arduino Nano in the design. It came out better than I expected, but still with a few holes (For one, I missed adding the silkscreen to define the component outline)..

Thanks for offering to share. I am ready to learn as much as I can.

Salvador