[Coco] How about THIS as a CoCo 3 replacement instead of an FPGA? Thoughts?

Steve Batson steve_batson at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 5 13:24:05 EDT 2015

I like the idea of emulating the Coco on smaller devices because they could be wired into anything we want. Jeff's emulators are great to a point, he has done some fantastic work and knows his stuff. I don't think he is supporting his emulators for the CoCo anymore. I purchased his CoCo 3 emulator directly from him when he was selling it after it first came out. I found that it works great with most CoCo 2 software but there were some CoCo 3 games that used features of the GIME that were very slow. It's been a long time since I did that so I really don't remember which games had the issue. I contacted him and he told me that there were some issues with his GIME emulation that could cause performance issues in some cases. I don't know if he ever fixed that or not.

Personally, I Love VCC and it works great for most everything I've tried on it and is easy to setup, configure and manage.

I think Emulators are great and they fascinate me. I mostly use the CoCo for games, so I can do most of that on the computer in an emulator. I think using and emulator in place of an FPGA to try to replace hardware wouldn't be ideal because you don't have the ports and cartridge slot. For me, this is really not a big deal. For others that have tons of program packs and other stuff the need the ports, it could be a problem. I do have and a real CoCo 3 and some 2s which I use as well.

Regardless, it would be nice to see a 100% compatible board replacement for the CoCo 3 with ports and Cartridge slot in case the board dies. Will this happen? I don't know. Is it feasible? I don't know that either. With emulators, hardware is so powerful these days, they can be run from tiny cards to full blown computers. Other than the fun and wow factor of putting one on a small system like the Rasberry Pi or Arduino, in most cases I'd rather just run on my main system.