[Coco] CoCo 3 RGB to SCART video, then converted to HDMI

Barry Nelson barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com
Thu Apr 30 18:00:16 EDT 2015

Responding to some of the comments…
First, I will try to post pictures and a video soon, but, well, if you don't believe me, I'm not really concerned, believe what you want, I'm just trying to share the information, but my setup, at least with the converter I have, works very well. As to using pins 8 & 9, there are a few issues:

1) The signal level is very low, less than 2V peak to peak. (It is NOT TTL)
2) The polarity is positive instead of negative.
3) The signal on those pins is a simple square wave, it has no "back porch" or "front porch" levels on the vertical sync line.
4) Their timing and pulse shape may be ok for a CM8 monitor, but nothing else seems to like them.

I am sure all these issues could be resolved with the right circuitry and time, but why complicate things needlessly?

The sync signals on the composite video line have the right timing and include the front and back porch levels, and my SCART converter seems to happily ignore the other "stuff" on that line when it is in RGB mode. Maybe an LM1881 might provide a cleaner signal, but it does not seem to be necessary as the picture is clean and stable.

I have no plans to manufacture cables at this time, but anyone else is welcome to use the pinout I provided and make their own cable.

I got the idea for this after attempting a couple of other solutions, and researching the the signals and voltage level output from the CoCo. I found that the RGB signal levels and timing matched almost exactly what a 480i SCART signal looked like, and the voltage levels and timing on the composite video line were a match for the sync pin on the SCART connector. Interestingly, a side effect of this is that if you disconnect the 5V line from the 100 ohm resistor, the SCART switches off the RGB signals and uses the composite video instead, so with one video connection you can actually switch from RGB monitor mode to TV mode by toggling this voltage on or off.