[Coco] Rom2Ram (was) Easy way to copy 40 track disks to the CoCoSDC?

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sun Apr 26 02:37:56 EDT 2015

Darren, good idea. I haven't looked at that routine in 20 years. The one I used most was a "basic loader" that poked the code from data statements. I'm sure it had the interrupts blocked while copying. I had gotten the routine from Rainbow back in the early 80s. I know at one time I had used EDTASM to make a rom2ram.asm file as well as an ML file loadable by basic, by using zbug on the poked code.
I haven't even seen that code in years, though I know it's on one of my dsk images if not 20 or 30 of them.
I used it as part of a routine for my Coco 2 to set up several enhancements to ECB and eventually to DECB, like OS9 style direct entry i.e:

LYRA<ENTER>
as opposed to
LOADM"LYRA":EXEC<ENTER>
(Yes, it worked on basic and ML programs)

Other enhancements were "current drive #" (i.e."D0:")instead of "OK:" prompt, alternate cursors, drive 0 & 1 as drives 0,1,2,& 3, and HPOKE which was a "word" poke (poking 2 bytes at once). I also added a highly modified version of Steve Bjork's "Mouse" utility to the bunch, with 51 column pmode 4 screen, dual fonts, changable mouse pointers, and loadable fonts. I included almost every mod I could find in my old Rainbows & Hot Cocos. All the routines were stored above DECB. I know I have the BIN file, but I'd probably have to disassemble it to get a source file as I think that disk got trashed during the flood of hurricane Floyd. It was all done in EDTASM. Originally, it started as the "Mouse" program for cassette, then I added a couple of mods to that (51 column screen), then I bought my disk drive and started adding the drive enhancements.

Once I got my Coco 3, I no longer needed most of the stuff and the program was left behind. I think I did do one Coco 3 version with the disk mods and the direct enrty. It still resides on all my old Coco disks (and images). It was titled "DOS/BIN" and when I started my Coco 2 (& 3), I would put in a disk and type LOADM"DOS":EXEC.
Of course after I got heavily into OS9 L2, I rarely went back to basic for anything other than running LYRA or games and since I wasn't a big gamer, that was rare :-)

I also used the rom switch (no copy) on my highly modified version of Rainbow's "CocoDraw" which I modified to access 5 extra pmode 4 screens (under the roms) and "*PAINT" by H. Allen Curtis which allowed CocDraw to paint in 256 colors (dot patterns) and quite a few other mods. I had added "almost" every feature that was in CocoMax II.

Those were the good ol' days :-)

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com