[Coco] Easy way to copy 40 track disks to the CoCoSDC?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Apr 25 14:06:17 EDT 2015

On Saturday 25 April 2015 13:39:03 Daniel Campos wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> I tried that on my CoCo1 but the poke didn't work. It works only in a
> CoCo3 ?

It should work on a 1 or 2 with a full 64k of memory in them but doing
the rom2ram (ISTR thats the name of the utility anyway) first and then
doing the poke to a ram location, s/b the same address at $D29D, but now
its writeable ram instead of fixed eprom.

ISTR there was something in rsbasic that flips that bit back to eprom, I
think if you hit the reset button.  But my memory for 30 year old stuff
could be mistaken too.

I was fond of Jake Commanders CHRMAKEY, which loaded a full screen basic
editor that used the shifted hotkey to write the whole basic keyword in
one keystroke, but he loaded it to the top of the lower 32k ISTR, and I
moved it to above the diskbasic eprom by doing the rom2ram thing first,
saving around 2k of basics ram.  There was also a patch it needed for
coco2's as they had moved the keyboard scan routine, and Jake was using
the 1.0 version direct instead of the indirect jump for it in the first
few bytes of the $A000 address space like Tandy says was the right way.
But I don't think the patched version ever made it to one of our net
holding places like RTSI as all this took place in 300 baud modem days.

If I ever run across a copy on disk, I'll see if I can get it uploaded,
but I'd almost bet the farm I had it on cassette.  And you know how kids
are when they need a cassette.  "But daddy, all it had on it was some
noise!" Sigh.

<daniel.campus at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm continuing on my efforts to recover the remaining disks, but
> >> some of them are 40 track disks and I think the BACKUP command on
> >> the SDC-DOS is not recognizing the sources as 40 tracks. There is
> >> some way to easily copy them to a .SDF file ?
> >
> > On a CoCo 3 address 53917 ($D29D) should be 35 ($23). This is where
> > the BACKUP command gets the maximum track number. If you POKE 40
> > ($28) in that location BACKUP should go all the way to track 40.
> > I've not tested this, so let us all know how it goes. :)
> >
> > If the disk is a normal 18 256 byte sectors per track, then there is
> > no reason to use a .SDF file. A .DSK file will be sufficient. Also
> > if the disk is not a normal 18 256 byte sectors per track, BACKUP
> > wouldn't work anyway.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)