[Coco] Upgrading RAM for CoCo 1

Barry Nelson barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com
Sat Apr 25 00:11:00 EDT 2015

This is what I found.

http://sparksandflames.com/files/TandysLittleWonder-2nded.pdf

"E" boards were the first to be upgradable to 32K. These require simply installing 64K chips in place of the existing 16K units and moving the jumpers (one between U8 and U9, three next to the keyboard connector, and one just below C44) to the 32K position. Hmmm... 64K chips but only 32K RAM? That’s correct! 32K was selected as the maximum supported RAM because Color BASIC couldn’t use more than 32K anyway, and no other operating system was available at the time. There never were any 32K DRAM chips made. 32K chips were made up by piggy backing 16K DRAMs, even commercially! Tandy got discount prices on half good 64K chips (half bad?). There is a jumper located near U29 marked HIGH and LOW. This selected either the upper 32K or lower 32K halves of the 64K chips (all the chips had to have the same half bad, Tandy just sorted them before installing). If new chips were purchased, it won’t matter which half is selected. Later versions have all good 64K DRAM as the supply of half-good chips dwindled.

On page 69 of this pdf, it shows the 16k/32k jumpers, one of which changes a line going to the ram chips from 12v to 5v.

http://sparksandflames.com/files/Color%20Computer%20Technical%20Reference%20Manual%20(Tandy).pdf