[Coco] MicroSD Drive Pak Repair

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Tue Apr 21 14:16:46 EDT 2015

Guillaume Major wrote:
> I'm looking for someone who has the knowledge and the tools to repair my MicroSD
> Drive Pak. It doesn't work anymore since I accidently dropped it on the floor a
> few months ago.
>

> On startup, the Disk Extended Color Basic copyright message is displayed, then
> the following:
>

> COCONET 1.27
> CNET-SIO: NO
> CNET-6551: NO
> MICROSD PAK:
>

> and it hangs there.
>

> A working micro SD card is inserted in the uDrive module and the green LED on
> the uDrive module stays on, indicating that it is detected successfully.
>

> I replaced the uDrive module, the 6551 ACIA chip and the crystal but the pak is
> still not working. I also tried to reseat every socketed chip, but to no avail.
>

> If you think you can fix it and are interested, please contact me in private at
> guillaume(dot)major(at)gmail.com.
> I will pay for your work and shipping fees. I'd really like to get my MicroSD
> Pak working again.
>

> Thanks,
> Guillaume

Guillaume,

The above reads like Roger Taylor's Drive Pak. There is another more current Pak
and you should make clear what device you mean. :)

Regards Roger's Pak, I have one and it is installed in an MPI. I frequently see
the same thing happen where the device stalls out looking for the MicroSD card.
There is nothing wrong with the device and the way to get things going is to
turn off all power, re-seat the MPI in the Coco, re-seat the Pak in the MPI, and
re-seat the MicroSD card in the Pak.
My guess is that one or more edge connectors are not making a clean contact and
something like a CART line is not connected.

There may not be much you can do with any of the cards and connector slots as
they oxidize. Further the Pak has some slop regards the angle of insertion and
you should try tweaking the fit.

Robert