[Coco] OS-9 loading NEW WAY

Boisy Pitre coco at toughmac.com
Tue Apr 21 11:06:01 EDT 2015

> On Apr 21, 2015, at 10:39 AM, Al Hartman <alhartman6 at optonline.net> wrote:
>
> If I had the money to fund some developers, I'd develop the following:
>
> -  A new disk formatter/copier utility that works in 64k/128k/512k systems. And as there is more memory, it uses the available memory to work faster.

Yes, a Backup Lightning update would be great for this.

> - A new utility to make creating a boot disk easy.

The holy grail of OS-9. Microware’s CONFIG utility came close but even it was complicated and not very flexible.

> - Do a pass through the 6309 version to tighten code and speed things up to make NOS9 faster and leave more memory in lower RAM machines.

I’m not sure how much tighter things can get, but it’s worth a shot.

> - Do a 6809 Coco2 NOS9 that took advantage of that 128k mod people have been talking about. (I'd fund creating a board/kit if I had the money)

Would probably make more sense to use the extra 64K as a RAM disk in NOS9 L1, but yeah, would be cool.

> - A utility to easily add/remove device drivers and descriptors for making custom systems.

That would be similar to the boot creation utility I would think.