[Coco] OS-9 loading NEW WAY

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Apr 21 06:34:23 EDT 2015

On Tuesday 21 April 2015 06:18:16 Tormod Volden wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 11:32 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com>
wrote:
> > On Tuesday 21 April 2015 03:18:53 K. Pruitt wrote:
> >> Yeah I saw Tormod's message.  I was unaware of the CocoBoot
> >> project. I've been looking over the site and I am really impressed
> >> with this project.  It is now bookmarked.
> >>
> >> Good work, Brett!
> >
> > Some good ideas there I believe.  The partition table thing
> > intrigues me a bit, but its placement in LSN0, displacing the info
> > there that Nitros9 uses pretty well wrecks Nitros9.  There is
> > however, over half of that sector that presently has no use defined,
> > and I see no reason not to make use of that area of LSN0 for a
> > partition table.  Doing so could be useful to all levels of Nitros9.
> >  We have a chd/cd, and a chx/dx commands, why not a cht/ct (chp/cp
> > clashes with one of our copy utilities) command.
>
> Maybe put a pointer to the real partition table (and any minimum
> geometry information needed) into the top bytes of LSN0? Then the
> partition table can be placed at the end of the disk for instance.
> That should be fairly backwards-compatible, bar reformatting the first
> partition with "legacy" tools, and if that would happen the partition
> table can be searched for and the pointer reinstated by a recovery
> tool.
>
> Tormod

Working from memory, at 6AM with only one eye open simultaineously, the
area above $70 or so in LSN0 could be used.  I'll do some playing with
dEd on my 2nd drive just to be sure, but that won't happen just yet, I
am out of amps on the basement circuit so the coco is shut down until I
get a flood in a hard rain under control.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)