[Coco] Access to Double Sided Disks with standard Floppy Drives on the CoCo?

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Tue Apr 21 01:06:32 EDT 2015

A problem with the simple 2-poke method of getting double-sided drives is
this:  Disk Basic still maintains a 4-byte table that keeps track of what
track the drive head is on for 4 drives.  Since there are in fact only 2
drives, Disk Basic is unaware that the head position for Drive 2 is always
identical to that for Drive 0 and similarly for Drives 1 and 3.  This
causes the drive head to sometimes bump against the Track 0 stop in trying
to get to a new track, because the system is working with erroneous
information about what track the head was previously on.

Because of a bug in the controller chip's logic, when this happens, both
the current track and (inappropriately) the destination track get set to
zero.  Since the two match, the system thinks the head has reached its
destination and the operation gets performed on Track 0 instead of the
appropriate track.  A typical outcome is that the GAT gets written to Track
0 Sector 2 instead of Track 17 Sector 2, and shortly thereafter, you see a
?FS ERROR from Basic when you try to access a file.

Happens only now and then, but enough to trash a significant number of
diskettes if you're not careful.  (Recovery of the diskette may be possible
by copying the GAT from Track 0 to where it belongs.)

A proper implementation (such as is found in ADOS-3) uses a 2-byte drive
table instead of a 4-byte one.

Art