[Coco] [SPAM] OT - Tandy 1000s

Steve Batson steve at batsonphotography.com
Mon Apr 20 20:59:31 EDT 2015

I had the first model of the Tandy 1000 when it came out. I LOVED that Machine! When it was out, the clone market hadn't really taken off yet. I used to say it was more compatible with the PC than the IBM PC. Reason I said that was that it could not only run the PC Software, but it could also run PC Jr. Programs. The sound and graphics were superior to the PC. Aside from some of my Tandy's attempts to make it proprietary, it was easy to get around. I added a second non-tandy floppy drive by building a longer ribbon cable because equipped drive had the circuit board on the drive on the opposite side of the drive so that you could not use their cable and a different drive. The longer cable allowed me to connect the drive and flip it over to fit the second drive properly. I put a hard drive controller equipped with a special ROM because they used a different IRQ for their controller trying to force you to buy their stuff. The special controller and ROM solved that and let me use standard Hard Drives. I put an NEC V20 and added a switch to put it into Turbo Mode.

Anyway, I do see them on eBay all the time, you may go there. I'd probably still play some of the games I had on it if I still had mine, but because today's PCs have better features and run most everything from the past, it's been less of an interest for me to buy another. I do understand the interest though. I really was an awesome machine and some much nicer looking than the PC and Clones of the time.