[Coco] Some "docs" for Zap 1.0

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Apr 19 12:55:51 EDT 2015

On Sunday 19 April 2015 11:21:26 Bill Pierce via Coco wrote:
> Gene, just click the "ghosted" 'X' anyway. It will close

Yes, and the page will reload, instantly, only extremely rarely will I
get even a split seconds view of the download button.

> and the (also
> ghosted) download button will work. Dropbox does not spam!

They may not, but you can bet the farm that some of the income that pays
the bills for dropbox comes from selling their subscriber list to other
people who do spam you.  So the spam you get will never come from
dropbox.

I see doc oz is getting some pushback from official federal sources these
days for pushing pills and diet that aren't exactly healthy on his tv
show.  He says he doesn't spam, but he sure hires a ton of other people
to do it for him.  Just touch a link in one of those messages and 20
more spammers will want to sell you magic pills for whatever ails you.
Even if it isn't on your personal list of ailments.

That would almost be tolerable if the same jerks didn't use a new address
group every day, and hit you 5 or more times a day. I have no clue what
their doman registration fees cost them to do so, but I have yet to see
an address class d block ever get reused by a legitimate concern in my
mailfilter logs.

If all those addresses could be reclaimed and made available as IPv4
adresses for someone like you or I to register and use, we wouldn't be
out of IPv4 addresses for another decade.  There are billions of
addresses out there that have been used by the spammers once and thrown
away.

But saying that isn't pc, so its the elephant in the room, demanding to
be fed, but the output is just out of sight out in the back hallway, and
any connection between the two very carefully ignored because it pays
the bills.

Hemingway had a saying that Heinlein made famous in The moon is a harsh
mistress, TANSTAAFL.  It is a basic truth and we forget it at our own
peril.

> . It's just
> an honest offer to join dropbox. I have been signed to Dropbox for
> almost 5 years now and I think I've received 3 or 4 emails from them,
> two or three of which were to inform me that my free space had been
> expanded and the others were to inform me of new features or updates.
> There are NO ads on a Dropbox page of any kind. Also, the downloads
> can be directly linked (if done properly), therefore bypassing the
> download page entirely. The Client mode of Dropbox can be turned on
> and off, allowing you to turn it on only when you need to update from
> client to server (or reverse).
>
> All of my downloads on my website are dropbox links and 75% of the
> website pictures originate from my dropbox and I've never had one
> person complain about spam or ads because there are none. The 2 links
> to dropbox that are on my website were put there by me as anyone
> clicking those links and creating an account, I get more free space.
> All my Coco/OS9 software projects that use my unique DW4 "Internet
> Updater" feature also use dropbox as the update FTP. My DB account is
> currently at 3.25 gig of free space. I can put a LOT of Coco files
> there :-)

So can I, that drive is a Terrabyte drive, with only 13Gb in that /opt
directory ATM.

> And Kelly... If you want a direct link to your files to the list,
> bypassing the "download" page, just open the folder in your local copy
> and "right-click" the file (client must be running) and select "Copy
> Public Link", then "paste" it to your email and you get a direct link
> to the file without the download page.... just a normal download. The
> client does not have to be running for the download to work, only to
> create the link. Example:
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23059963/Stuff/My%20Favorite%20OS9
>%20Utilities.dsk
>
> That's all there is to it :-)
>
> Dropbox's commercial accounts are relitively cheap. For $10 a month,
> you get 1 TB of secure space. The more space, the cheaper the cost.
> It's one of the best online "cloud" services I've found and it has
> never given me problems. And if you want to sign up for Dropbox, use
> the link below and I get more free space :-)
>
> http://db.tt/8F3bMxCT
>
> Thanks :-)
>

> Bill Pierce
> "Today is a good day... I woke up" - Ritchie Havens

That is good info no doubt, but the original posted link does not work
and wastes my bandwidth by a 5 second timeout and reload the whole thing
cycle regardless of what you do with the mouse, a bit of idiocy I will
not support, and one that I am getting tired of being "corrected" about.
What part of "does not work" is so hard to understand?

Several have repeatedly said that it Just Works for them, but it does NOT
work for me on the latest version of firefox/iceweasel (v37.01 IIRC), or
for googles chromium browser in the unregistered mode, and which is no
doubt getting long in the tooth because it isn't registered.

> E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)