[Coco] MC6847 External ROM REV02

Zippster zippster278 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 21:36:40 EDT 2015

Camillus,

As Joe said, the MC6847 supports an option for an external character set ROM in addition to
the built in (uppercase only) character set.  More information on this and how the code is formatted
can be found in the MC6847 data sheet.

An external ROM lets you implement a “full” 128 character set, so that you can have real lowercase characters.

Early boards existed for this, like the lowerkit boards.  These used a 2k EPROM with one character set.

I’ve designed this one to use either 27C128 or 27C256 EPROMS, allowing for 8 or 16 character sets,
selectable by dip switch.  There are a couple of spare switches on the dip, and all ROM addressing is
run through the CPLD, allowing for other features, such as redirecting addressing for an inverted uppercase
character instead of a lowercase one on some programs that expect this, maybe other things as well.

I’ve also put together an excel spreadsheet that allows you to generate the code for character sets
easily, building the characters in a graphical fashion, for burning to ROM.

- Ed