[Coco] My Windows Readme

Sun Apr 12 17:06:10 EDT 2015

ShellPlus on NotrOS-9 (I made a typo and liked it.) is way far beyond my efforts to repair. My discussion as to how to fix ShellPlus was on the TandyCoCo Forum. it is now gone. Basely you must start over and also look at all the parts of the system that are part of handling what you type in.

The author of 2.2 posted here that he might be responsible for part of the problem. (Not proven.)

I keep saying what I am because I cannot do the work, I just am a "wanter" and will fail like most of the "wanters" getting the attention of the "doers". If the "doers" must feel bad to do something so be it.

It is a failure of the Linux way of doing things. People just do what they want and if there is no one interested that can do the work, it just remains broke. Microware / Tandy may not have had a QA department (The one that was checking my work was horrible. I found most of the bugs in my software myself. When another group want to do a test using everybody logged in typing I flooded the system with tasks that put a much heavier load on the system and the serious bugs showed up. It was a Super Computer.)

My efforts on the next CoCo project will be to try and improve the ShellPlus documentation. It reads just right to me but as others have not pointed out what does not work then the power the ShellPlus authors included is just not understood.

Others, when they try what was working on OS-9 and is not on NotrOS-9 may get the attention of the doers. I do not even have VCC handy anymore. I am trying to pass on my knowledge and experience much of which has disappeared with the TandyCoCo Forum.

Soon I may not be able to do that so I keep saying the same things. What that was so great being so broken I cannot ignore.

SHF

----- Original Message -----
From: "Boisy Pitre" <coco at toughmac.com>
To: "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 12, 2015 5:28 AM
Subject: Re: [Coco] My Windows Readme

> Stephen,
>
> Through the fog of your cryptic writing style, I can make out that you’re unhappy with the current state of shelffuls. The time and energy that you’re putting into complaining about it could be used to actually modifying the source code to fix the deficiencies that you claim it has. If anyone had the original source, it would have been provided by now, so what we have in the repository.
>
> Also, it’s NitrOS-9, not “NotrOS-9”, even though I suspect you’re spelling it this way intentionally in order to denigrate it. It represents years of my work and time, and has gotten even better with Tormod’s contributions; please show some respect for that effort.

I am talking about the user interface not the internals. You do not want me to start testing those. I have not been doing any planned testing, the bugs just jump out. You can improve the internals all you want, if the user has a hard time using it they will go back to OS-9 as I suspect many have. The discussions just do not indicate that what I see is seen by others. See No EVIL, Hear No EVIL, Speak No EVIL can mean there is lots of EVIL.