[Coco] HDB-DOS development question

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 17:23:57 EDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 10:41 PM, David Ladd <davidwladd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 7, 2015 10:31 PM, "Juan Castro" <jccyc1965 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Isn't cocoroms/ecb_equates.asm a generated file? Then why is it in the
>> repository?
>
> Yes this file is normally generated, BUT I have found this file has been
> modified so HDBDOS builds faster.  If you try to run the makefile in the
> cocoroms folder it removes and rebuilds the ecb_equates.asm file and then I
> notice a large slowdown in the build time for HDBDOS.

Yes, as David explains it is in principle a generated file. It is bit
awkward because it is generated in the cocoroms project so the hdb-dos
build would strictly depend on building cocoroms too. I was not aware
of this when working on hdb-dos so I edited the file, cosmetically,
sorting by address. Maybe that caused the speed-up.

> Personally I think this copy of the ecb_equates.asm should probably be
> moved into the HDBDOS folder so that way it doesn't cause this problem if
> the cocoroms folder gets rebuilt.

Yes, I think that makes sense to allow hdb-dos to build independently.
It should be documented where it comes from though. And kept in sync
if the cocoroms stuff changes.

Tormod