[Coco] CoCo3 games that use two buttons on the joystick?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Apr 8 16:27:03 EDT 2015

On Wednesday 08 April 2015 15:57:38 Bill Pierce via Coco wrote:
> Curtis, the OS9 version of Kumgai would not work with 2nd button
> unless it "undoes" the hard coded action of changing windows with the
> 2nd button, which by the way is one of the most limiting and "uncool"
> things ever done to OS9... a programmer can't even program the 2nd
> button for their own use. This means no "right click" context menus
> and options. The cmds are there to read the button, but when pressed,
> it will go to the next open window. This REALLY needs to be changed...
> or at least be "optional" with a shell cmd or graphics cmd.

A hint Bill, if you have time to look at it. I have not been able to
track the conversion process between the mouse buffer, an 8 byte wide
area located $10E8 as a start location, which is where my
joydrv_s6551.sb dumps the data, and the 32 byte wide mouse packet the
SS.Mouse call returns.

The reason I mention this is that it the process of writing that driver,
I found an off by one in the L51.defs file and fixed it.  I am not sure
that the defs file propagates all the way through, so that off by one
may be the origin of the problem.  my driver seems to work but its not
been verified that all 3 buttons work like they are supposed to for
Icnedit for instance.

I am ATM up to my butt in house maintenance things that are part of
owning it free and clear, so I'm "occupied" for a few weeks.

I do not know if other "mouse" drivers use this buffer, but if you'd like
to display it, this will do it under nitros9.

{t2|08}/DD/CMDS:list dbmouse
tmode .1 pau=0
load dbm-util
display c
*main
display 2 20 20
dmem -1 10EC 8 ! dump
goto main

And here is the vfy output for /dd/cmds/dbm-util, a merged file so it
doesn't have to reload the modules for every loop of the script.

{t2|08}/DD/CMDS:vfy dbm-util
Length of file: $00000534

Module found at offset $00000000 in this file
Header for    : DMem
Header parity : $1E (good)
Module size   : $0136
Edition       : $02
Ty/La At/Rv   : $11   $80
Program module, 6809 object, Re-enterable, R/O
Exec. off     : $004B
Data Size     : $12D0
Module CRC is : $76C0F4 (good)

Module found at offset $00000136 in this file
Header for    : Dump
Header parity : $D4 (good)
Module size   : $02FE
Edition       : $07
Ty/La At/Rv   : $11   $81
Program module, 6809 object, Re-enterable, R/O
Exec. off     : $00F2
Data Size     : $00F6
Module CRC is : $4FAF8D (good)

Module found at offset $00000434 in this file
Header for    : Display
Header parity : $29 (good)
Module size   : $0100
Edition       : $03
Ty/La At/Rv   : $11   $81
Program module, 6809 object, Re-enterable, R/O
Exec. off     : $0015
Data Size     : $00CC
Module CRC is : $87AD2E (good)

Bytes read    : $00000534

My mouse is a seriel mouse, old 3 button DeXxa, works like a logitech.
The joydrv-s6551.sb can handle M$ or Logiteck mice interchangeably.

> Bill Pierce
> "Today is a good day... I woke up" - Ritchie Havens

> E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)