[Coco] Open Letter to those who will be attending the The 24thAnnual "Last Chicago CoCoFEST April 25-26, 2015

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 03:57:11 EDT 2015

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 2:18 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> If you are using Debian, you can pick lwtools packages from my PPA at
>> https://launchpad.net/~tormodvolden/+archive/ubuntu/m6809 and you are
>> done. One thing less to struggle with.
>>
> The instructions to add the ppa, when performed, prevent the
> package-manager from running.

Some of the instructions on that page are autogenerated and add to the
confusion. The key is, as I have tried to make clear on that page,
that you can perfectly install the "lucid" packages even if you have
another or newer version of Ubuntu or Debian.

> Can you just paste that line in /etc/sources.list into the email?
>
> However, when I had excised the line it added the first time, and
> repeated the operation, it worked and synaptic is running. And although
> it is checked as active according to synaptic, and the package list has
> been refreshed, no package named lwtools is available.
>
> Here is the trace when that command was exec'd the 2nd time;
> gene at coyote:/opt/nitros9$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tormodvolden/m6809
> You are about to add the following PPA to your system:
>  Note: Packages are only built on Lucid, but will work fine in any newer
> release as well. See "Technical details" below for how to configure your
> software sources.

add-apt-repository it at least handy for adding the gpg keys. But the
sources.list entry it generates will have your distro name and not
"lucid".

> Found the added ppa, in sources.list.d, and it contains:
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/tormodvolden/m6809/ubuntu wheezy main
> deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/tormodvolden/m6809/ubuntu wheezy main

Almost there, just replace "wheezy" by "lucid" and everything should work.

Alternatively one can also just pick the .debs from that page and
install manually one by one.

Tormod