[Coco] Open Letter to those who will be attending the The 24thAnnual "Last Chicago CoCoFEST April 25-26, 2015

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 18:21:04 EDT 2015

On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 10:53 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> My script was updated since then I believe.  Is this still wrong?
>
> mv nitros9 nitros9-$(date +%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M)
> hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/nitros9/code nitros9
> cd nitros9
> export NITROS9DIR=$PWD
> mkdir dsks # this step is temporarily needed
> make dsk
> make dskcopy
> cd ..
> chown -R gene:gene nitros9
> echo
> echo "nitros9 has been refreshed"
>

>> Please find my mercurial how-to's posted to this list in your
>> Thunderbird.
>
> What ThunderBird? kmail exclusively since about 1998.

I hope it has a search function.

> So I did the hg pull;hg update. Looks like it worked but I haven't tried
> a build since updating to debian wheezy.
>
> make clean dskclean works.  make fails: (even as sudo root)

I have said it a hundred times :D  Do not build software using
superuser. There is no reason for it whatsoever from the start, and if
it would help along the slightest bit, it means your system is already
broken. Once you have, against all common sense and repeated friendly
advice, done it anyway, things will have gone even worse and there is
only one way out: Wipe it all and start from scratch.

Just do like everybody else and follow the instructions. You are
making it more complicated than it needs to be and as demonstrated,
beyond your own capabilities. And nobody can help you, because even if
they tell you what is wrong and how to do it correctly, you will not
listen. And no, the script above was not the one I gave you.

If you are using Debian, you can pick lwtools packages from my PPA at
https://launchpad.net/~tormodvolden/+archive/ubuntu/m6809 and you are
done. One thing less to struggle with.

Best regards,
Tormod