[Coco] R+DOS/16 IDE support: I learned about the $052DDC offset the hard way.

Juan Castro jccyc1965 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 16:40:44 EDT 2015

On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 3:48 PM, Tormod Volden <lists.tormod at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Juan,
>
> Is 052DDC some kind of standard value? In case it maybe should be applied to HDB-DOS proper. Are there other common values?

I think that's specific to IDE. DriveWire uses 0.

> I looked through your patch and it it looks indeed less invasive than what I have seen before. But what changes in this patch require going to 16K?

All the code that's in EL.ASM -- text in graphics modes (aka CaChars),
commands to copy ROM to RAM, DIR columnms adjustment... almost all
enhancements, actually. Indeed, there was so little space left that
even the conditional JSR to my code at $E000 required shortening some
messages. The (nearly nothing) space left in C000-DFFF depends on the
variety of ROM being built, but of course I have to take into account
the one that leaves the LEAST space to me.

> I am however inclined to keep HDB-DOS conservatively to 8KB and rather let people explore Brett's new DOS for everything that one can do with 16KB.

The idea here is to keep building 8KB HDB-DOS along with the 16KB
variety. My makefile changes do precisely that.