[Coco] Open Letter to those who will be attending the The 24thAnnual "Last Chicago CoCoFEST April 25-26, 2015

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Apr 5 15:11:45 EDT 2015

On Sunday 05 April 2015 14:26:17 Tormod Volden wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 1:39 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > backup. But it would have been a zero problem had people (including
> > me) invoked my advice about the SAS setting in the descriptor.  Or I
> > should have waited until I could figure out where to limit the
> > segmnent table to 47 entries.  Even on a floppy, it should never
> > have been under $10, and preferably $20.  The default of $08 has
> > used up the segment tables 48 entries at a file size of 98,304 bytes
> > under the worst scenario conditions.  That, at some point will be
> > encountered on a 35Trk, SS disk. Best scenario would be at 524,288
> > bytes, disk full before segment table on all but 720k floppies.
> >
> > The repo's value has I believe been raised if Tormod had applied my
> > proposed commits.
>
> What do you mean by that?
>
> Tormod

ISTR sending a commit that changed the default SAS value from $08 to $10
at least a year ago.  I assume it was applied.  But let me check my most
recent update pull and build.

Humm, no, everything is still set at $08 at build time. That would have
been a short time (minutes) before install time, which was 2015/1/30
10:15 am, so that commit has never been applied.  Sigh.

But, I just found a bug in how "dmode -filename" accesses the file. If
the file is not modified, neither should the date/time of the file be
modified, but it was updated, I did a "dmode -dd_d035s.dd"
and "dmode -dd_tc3.dd", and both files creation dates were updated to
the instant I looked but made no changes.  This is in the coco's
own /dd/nitros9/6309l2/rbf/modules directory that I would make new
kernels from. HOWEVER, I keep a separate directory of descriptors that I
use so I don't have to puts with making everything match _my_ system,

So the ones in memory are mine, and IMO correct, with the values of $10
for 720k floppies and $20 for /dd, which is half a 1Gb hard drive.

Curious.  How do I investigate hg's history so I know when and where that
commit was sent?  There was some confusion in my mind at one time as to
which branch was "tip", the most recent work version.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)