[Coco] SCSI/SASI HD interfaces...

George Ramsower georgera at gvtc.com
Fri Apr 3 23:47:22 EDT 2015

  All this talk of early hard drives reminds me of when I got my first
hard drive for a coco.
  This was before the internet and BBS was king. I found a SCSI
interface for my coco and then looked for a hard drive on the BBS. I did
find one fellow that had two, five meg units for sale. I contacted him
and we discussed this. He told me I needed an MFM controller to connect
to my SCSI interface in order to control these two hard drives.
  So.... I hunted for and found .... I think it was an Adaptek
controller.. or something like that, which would adapt my SCSI
controller to the MFM drives. This all took me a few weeks to accomplish.
  Once I had it all together, I was able to format one of the two drives
that guy sold me but the other one, I never could get to work. Hmm
  Finally I took it apart and found the patter was destroyed. I was
ripped off!!!
  Who ya gonna complain to? There was no eBay or Amazon back then.
  Then, the one that did work failed. I reformatted it and used it some
more.. a few days.... and it failed again.
  I reformatted it again and it work a few more days and failed again.
Finally, I gave up and called the drive purchase a failure.
  Finally, I did find a used SCSI drive and added that to the system.
Eventually, the MFM drive did fail and then it was down to the SCSI
drive. Been using them ever since. I've since replaced the coco and hard
drives several times. Now I need to find another monitor as my old one died.
  I'm thinking of the RGB to VGA adapter so I can get a cheap VGA
monitor to work on that 'puter. so I can still use it.
  Darn, this is fun!!