[Coco] CoCo 2 Factory Composite Video RE'd

Zippster zippster278 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 00:02:28 EDT 2015

Ok, results of my little test are as follows:

Power Mac 7200, 4GB Quantum SCSI HDD vs SCSI2SD w/4GB micro SD

Boot Mac OS 9.1 (a pretty packed OS for this machine, lots of extensions, 200MB system folder)
SCSI HDD:  2 min, 49 sec
SCSI2SD: 2 min, 32 sec

Duplicating a folder with 55MB of MP3 files
SCSI HDD: 43 sec
SCSI2SD: 1 min, 10 sec

I would say they feel pretty similar in overall performance.  Straight reads and writes
are a bit faster with the SCSI HDD, while the SCSI2SD seems to be faster with seeks.
This fits with what I’ve read in forum posts on this device as well.

That’s with the current firmware anyway (4.1.1), which is still being actively developed
by the author.

So basically, a very viable replacement for SCSI drives on older machines, but no performance
increase.  Another positive aspect of the device is the sd card can be read in a modern system
for fast and easy backups.

- Ed