[Coco] Zap 0.0.4 Beta has been uploaded to my drop box

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Apr 1 00:11:11 EDT 2015

On Tuesday 31 March 2015 23:36:38 K. Pruitt wrote:
> [...]

Well, its not as if it was magic. One usually figures out which end of
the soldering iron gets hot from the first touch. ;-)

Soldering unfortunately is not always an easy thing to teach, because its
welding without all the fireworks.  The trick is the right iron temp to
bring the solder to a molten state, somewhere between 550F and 800F
depending on the solder alloy, good solder needs only 600F, where its
natural tendency to "wet" the joint is obvious, and use just enough
solder applied between the tip and the joint to cover the joint.  Get
back out and don't move a thing for 10 seconds or so for it to fully
solidify.  It should still have a shine.  Too hot, or something moved
just as it was solidifying and you'll have a "grainy" appearance to the
joint, reheat and maybe add just a touch of fresh solder in order to get
the resin restored & let cool again.  Good eyesight is obviously an
advantage too.

One of the two young men I had at the tv station when I went in in '84,
wanted to be my assistant, simply never got the hang of soldering, but
he had other talents, and has now been the video (commercials mainly)
production manager for about 20 years, turned out he had a knack for
that. Him, and a cousin who is now our IT Manager are both badly color
blind, but a couple demos of what a human face looked like on a
vectorscope & they had that down pat and forever.

Amazingly, what we perceive as a non-white face, is exactly the same
color angle on the vectorscope.  The difference between a caucasion
face, and the blackest african face is all in the brightness levels, the
peak angle of the color does not change.  That is a hard concept to get
thru sometimes, to the possessor of said dark face.  They want to insist
they are different somehow.

Your trivia fact for the day. ;-)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)