[Coco] coco 2 vs coco 3

Johann Klasek johann+coco at klasek.at
Mon Sep 29 17:24:17 EDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 06:10:50AM +1000, Nick Marentes wrote:
[..]
> I think the CoCo enthusiasts were a different crowd to the C64 crowd.
> CoCo people were more interested in learning how to use the computer. We
> had a better BASIC, A Unix like OS (OS-9) and a great CPU (6809).

That's all I ever wanted and admired at this time, but not affordable
for me (in middle Europe, where software and "distribution channels" were
dominated by Commodore and Sinclair systems). Despite this, in 1987 I
found a Dragon 32 which was an (minor) alternative for me to get in
touch a little with the long desired 6809 ... :)

> C64  and Atari people were more the games and graphics.

Right, I can acknowledge this more or less (at least for this time). I
count myself to the programming guys (these are still the minority) ...
But now in the retro community the programming and development fraction
has raised (compared to the gaming-only crowd). However, C64 gamers are
still dominating ...

I was surprised how great and sophisticated the CoCo world is - a
parallel universe next to my so far known C64 universe. ;)

Johann