[Coco] coco 2 vs coco 3

Bill Loguidice bill at armchairarcade.com
Mon Sep 29 16:26:43 EDT 2014

To be fair to the user bases of the Atari 8-bit and C-64, I don't think we
can so easily generalize what users did or didn't do with their computers.
With the Atari 8-bit, you're talking a couple of million users (which may
or may not have been roughly the same number of CoCo users), but with the
C-64, you're talking anywhere from 12 - 30 million users (I've never been
able to definitively nail down the numbers to my satisfaction, but it's
definitely in that range; that's not even counting the 5+ million C-128
series computers that were sold), which is exponentially more than the
combined Atari 8-bit and CoCo user bases. With those kinds of numbers, even
with the most conservative estimates, you would still have huge numbers of
people "more interested in learning how to use the computer," likely far
more than the CoCo's total user base. Just like it's not good for others to
generalize about the CoCo platform, it's not good to do the same for other
platforms without clear evidence. Even today, in practical terms, you have
far more people doing far more non-game stuff with those other two
platforms, though of course they also have the benefit of lots of new games
as well (just like in the old days).

Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade, Inc.
<http://www.armchairarcade.com>
Authored Books
<http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Loguidice/e/B001U7W3YS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_1> and