[Coco] [Color Computer] color computer 2 and fd-501 floppy drive

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Sep 28 20:50:09 EDT 2014

On Sunday 28 September 2014 20:19:27 rcrislip did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 15:52:26 -0400
>
> Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > On Friday 26 September 2014 15:00:35 rcrislip did opine
> >
> > And Gene did reply:

> > > Hi Gene,
> > >
> > > I can breath again. This is the first time in a while you posted. I
> > > was becoming worried for you.
> > >
> > > Your Amiga Bud
> > >
> > > Richard
> >
> > The advice of a very long experienced (nearly 65 years now) C.E.T.
> > about such things seems to be more and more ignored here.  OTOH, I
> > may be the old man of this mountain at 80 next week.  So, when I can
> > enlighten on a better way, I still try to do it.  It's in my gene's I
> > think.
> >
> > Thanks for the flowers & caring Richard.  Its been busy, trying to
> > solve a gear range problem in the software that runs my cnc lathe,
> > finally doing that yesterday, then Dee fell ON the couch 3 weeks ago
> > and bent a knee in a direction they aren't supposed to go.  The MRI's
> > claim its a bone bruise and could be months to heal.
> >
> > I have been trying to move some dirt and refill the ditch a gas line
> > was put in in my back yard left behind when I had a 20kw standby
> > installed last spring, but the crew didn't backfill worth a toot and
> > I am afraid one of us will turn or break an ankle stepping in it as
> > the grass now has it well hidden.  So, like I say, busy.
> >
> > And I have to do some house cleaning too as one of my boys will be
> > here with his wife and youngest on the 1st to help me celebrate my
> > birthday on the 4th.  He has been up in North Dakota for the last 6
> > months doing maintenance shop work for one of the drillers and making
> > obscene amounts of money, working 90 hour weeks and enjoying it
> > immensely as he is his own boss now.
> >
> > I had 2 of the other boys here 6 weeks back for a week, and enjoyed
> > that very much, even unloaded some brass I haven't fully reloaded yet
> > but I have more. But I haven't a clue if my oldest will make it
> > though, after about 6 months in a dry out facility last spring, he is
> > back living in a bottle about 5 months later.  Sad, when that stuff
> > takes over.
> >
> > Being diabetic, I now claim I am a 1 beer a night alcoholic and thats
> > something like a Miller 64.  Almost beer, but not quite IMO.  But its
> > taste is similar to real beer. ;)
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> Well I for have always enjoyed reading your technical take on the
> various issues that arise on this list. The trouble is many of you
> students are probably approaching your level of knowledge and
> experience. Some, not all.

Yes, some of these newer fellows are getting there, and some seem to be
better at multitasking than I was 20 years ago even. In due time, turning
over the reigns as the resident tech will be easier and easier.

But OTOH, I never figured I was a master unless I had actually kicked that
set of tires & then put 50k miles on them.  Those bits & pieces however I
am reasonably solid on as long as Oldtimers doesn't set in.

> Anyway happy to see that you are still kicking. I am very sorry to hear
> about your little brides knee injury, I felt the pain just reading
> about it. My prayer is for an as comfortable and speedy recovery as
> possible.

I feel the pain too, watching her trying to get around, and when I have
been vertical too long as I tore some ligaments in my left knee about a
year ago, and its due for another triplet of shots again.

> Congratulation on completing 88 full orbits around ole sol.

Recheck what I typed, it is only 80.

> I keep
> imploring people to try to convince Captain Kirk to break this
> Enterprise out of orbit and to find something else to orbit, because
> this sun is sucking the life out of us 8-).

Yeah, move to something a wee bit yellower, the UV from this one keeps me
busy getting skin cancers excised.  But thats going to be fun because I'm
on warfarin now.  Between that and the DM-II, I bruise something a couple
times a day without even realizing I did it.  Small cuts ooze & bleed for
10+ minutes.

Question for the list thats way off topic.

Does anyone have a snow blade for an old riding mower tossed in the shed
when the rider blew up and was replaced?

If so, and the price is reasonable, I'd like to buy it.  Most blades
available for riders today start at 5 feet wide and I only need 38 to 40"
of blade for my geriatric craftsman 12.5 hp version.  I have a frame to
mount it about 30% constructed, and after I have mig welded it up, then
I'll need a blade just so I can design & make the connecting bits and
pieces.

> Cheers Richard

Yup, bottoms up if that trips your trigger.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)