[Coco] cartridge prototype board

Kip Koon computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Sun Sep 28 17:11:17 EDT 2014

Hi Guys!
Would we want some type of minimum Address Bus decoding on the Cartridge
Protyping PCB or leave it totally covered with solderable holes and no
circuit whatsoever.  How about buffer chips on all the signal lines in case
the user makes a mistake.  That way the Coco would not be harmed.  Only the
socketed buffer chips would need replacing.
There are 32-bytes in the space allotted for the electronics in cartridge
paks, but not every product would need them all.  Besides by now certain
addresses have become known to be used for certain functions like those used
by floppy and IDE hard drive controllers, serial port controllers, and
multifunction paks like the IR-Tech pak, the Disto paks and much more.  I
would be interested in a copy of a document detailing absolutely all the
uses of the addresses in the $FFxx I/O block if anyone has the addresses
collected together in one place.  I have seen some documentation detailing
the entire $FFxx area in the past which looked absolutely full but it had
"todos" here there and yonder for explanations of things not included yet.
There was no memory address unused at some point or other.  How is the $FExx
block used?  I remember someone mentioning about needing to write something
in the $FE00 area to get something to work in the Coco 3, but I don't
remember what that was talking about.
I have also been thinking of designing a cartridge prototyping PCB, but I
didn't know whether or not to go ahead and put decoding glue logic on it or
not.  Maybe some type of configurable circuit to place the users project
anywhere in the $FFxx block, and not just in the $FF40 - $FF5F 32 byte
block.  I'll keep thinking on this and see what happens.  Take care my
friends.

Kip Koon
computerdoc at sc.rr.com
http://computerpcdoc.com/