[Coco] Converting MC-10 Basic to Coco Basic

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Tue Sep 16 09:16:16 EDT 2014

I saw that an MC-10 program was recently uploaded to the
http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/ with an interesting name, SwelFoop;
actually Swell Foop aka Fell Swoop. I just had to look at that game. :)

Well the upload was in .c10 format which when changed to .cas did load into
MESS. However as the tokens for MC-10 Basic don't match those for Coco Basic the
results were not useful. I did find an MC-10 emulator into which the game loaded
correctly. I then printed it to a PC file which was loaded into MESS as an asci
Basic file.
The game with LIST was almost correct with a few strange results.

It seems that MC-10 Basic permits placing low res graphic characters directly
into PRINT"" statements without using CHR$(). When the program was LISTed in the
MC-10 emulator the PRINT statements displayed the graphic characters. When
LISTed on a Coco, you got PRINT at T+32,"";. The content did not display even
though the data could be seen when the program was examined on disk.

I can't even guess how such data was entered into those PRINT statements.

Anyway, I've uploaded a Coco version of the game to the archive.

Robert