[Coco] FPGA the future of coco?

farna at amc-mag.com farna at amc-mag.com
Tue Sep 9 20:52:14 EDT 2014

Comparing the CoCo's future to antique cars is very interesting -- and
right up my alley! I'm a Rambler/AMC fan (AMC formed in 1954, used Rambler
as the make name through 1966, then started using AMC as the make name  --
compare to Radio Shack brands morphing into Tandy brands), and we have the
same problems. Only a few models were really popular and are rather
valuable as collector's items. Those of us who like to more mundane cars
eventually face a quandry: update the car (like I did, modern EFI engine,
but still AMC related -- Jeep 4.0L from a Cherokee, based on the 64
Rambler I-6 engine) or keep it stock. For those who want to drive a lot
updating is really the only practical choice. Original parts are hard to
find, simple things like a water pump may take two weeks to get the
correct one. Some trim parts are impossible to find except as used, and
with Ramblers and AMCs not being popular they are the first to go in
salvage yards (or were -- rare enough now that the few yards with some are
holding onto them). There aren't many used parts. You have to know where
to look -- newcomers are often lost, thinking there is someone like the
popular cars (Mustang, Camaro, etc.) who have just about everything you
might need. Many get an AMC then find the AMC Forum on-line, but I bet
more give up or don't buy because there are only a few good parts sources,
and they can't find them or find that there are big gaps in available
parts. Some turn to Ford or Chevy drivetrains, and I don't blame them.
Those can be compared to the emulator crowd -- running a CoCo on a PC is
pretty analogous. Others just have to have the original parts, or at least
a more modern AMC engine in an AMC/Rambler. I think the FPGA CoCo is
analogous to a more modern AMC engine in an older Rambler. But some are
purists -- has to be restored exactly as it left the factory, or at least
have upgrades from the same era (such as a 63 six cylinder replaced with a
63 V-8 that would have been a factory option anyway). The CoCo world has
those too!

The three groups have to learn to appreciate each other and cooperate in
order to truly survive. The AMC clubs have been trying to do that for
years, and have for the most part accomplished it through encouragement. I
am more a modifier and hot rodder than a restorer, but I appreciate both
restored cars and all-out race cars and high dollar street rods. I'd
sooner have a restored car than a big buck trailer queen, but I'd drive it
some!

We don't have a coherent support structure like the car clubs. All we have
is this loosely organized group here. We still need to learn to appreciate
and support each other -- concentrate on commonalities rather than
differences.