[Coco] NitrOS-9 L3 Code and Disk Images

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Oct 27 21:47:04 EDT 2014

On Monday 27 October 2014 20:52:27 Kip Koon did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Hi Guys!
> Sorry for being offline.  I've been a bit under the weather.  Here is a
> link to the OS-9 L3 disk image I downloaded from Alan Dekok's web
> site. https://www.dropbox.com/s/izktotl4934qut9/OS9L3.os9?dl=0
> Could you tell me what else would be needed to run this or to update
> the NitrOS-9 Repo?
>
> Kip Koon
> computerdoc at sc.rr.com
> http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/Kip_Koon

Kip, please trim your replies. This bit of disinformation in the above
paragraph has now been echoed back and forth at least 3 or 4 times, and I
have already  refuted it at least once.

So for the benefit of those who are filing this disinformation away for
future reference, I have checked each and every one of the above files,
but in the src code it is plain that if you pass a level=3 to the
assembler, it will build the level3 version on the binary.

We have two remaining problems, one being that the heart of the level3
bootup, nitro, has several 6309isms in it.  I have added conditionals so
that those bits of the code are only built if H6309 is true. What remains
is for me to go thru it and invent a 6809 set of instructions that will
give exactly the same result on a stock coco3 with a 6809 cpu in it.  Then
and only then can the regular coco3 run level 3.

The second problem is as yet, I have not managed to cobble up an
L3bootlist.bl that will actually boot.  Its tantalizingly close but no
biscuit yet.  I have one last suspicion, because I do NOT see my mouse
driver signing on in the i2xoxxxx string, so I am going to save my
currently working .sb and try it in a bootfile.  But that has been on the
back burner since I found that the nitro file itself is the showstopper
for a stock coco3.  There is a possibility that the final result might not
work on a 128k machine because this ties up an additional 32k of non-
system (from the same memory pool myram uses).  That is 4 of the mmu 8k
memory pages.  It does remain to be seen. A half meg machine should be
home free.

But not tonight, and possibly not tomorrow as I am coming down with a sore
throat that is getting worse by the hour, so I am going to spend some
extended time in the rack, spraying my throat with cepacol and colloidal
silver alternately.

So I don't really feel all that well. But I am working on it, and Tormod
or I will advise you when we are in need of lab rats to test it.  Ok?

In the meantime, please stop propagating the above miss-information about
those 4 files, its simply not true, and its based on 15yo+ code.  The
6809ism of the nitro file, and a currently dis-organized bootfile are the
two remaining problems.  On a 6309 equipt coco3, the bootfile fed to the
mb script should be the only problem.

Patience, grasshoppers, patience.

[huge snip]

Cheers, Gene Heskett