[Coco] NitrOS-9 L3 Code and Disk Images

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Oct 27 13:28:12 EDT 2014

On Monday 27 October 2014 11:33:00 Al Hartman did opine
And Gene did reply:
> What exactly would be the advantages of NitrOS9 Level 3?
>
> Not even being a Level 2 user, I'm just curious.
>
> -[ Al ]-

No great speed increases are promised Al, even slightly slower than level2
as quite a bit of the scf stuff gets loaded to 1 16k buffer, and quite a
bit of the rbf stuff gets loaded into a second 16k buffer, and the os
switches buffers according to the service request. That takes time as it
has to rewrite the dat image data to do the switching  Net result = more
free system ram so those errors are largely removed from normal operation.
To me its an easy plus if I can get it working. I'm not crashing, but get
a boot failed at about the time it should be opening a Term to display the
signon message with. But ATM I seem to have 3 modules whose internal names
are Term in that bootlist.  The booting trace I can see on the screen
looks great until that happens. That is at least progress, but I am
working on two fronts, first being my bootlist, and second the
6809-ification of the nitro.asm module.  It has a few instances of 6309
only code in it that I will have to emulate on the 6809.

There is also some question about the mouse driver, mine is for a serial
mouse attached to /t3, a set of piggy backed chips in the deluxe rs232
pack,  and it is not signing on in the o2xi etc init trace just before it
fails.  There ought to be a 'C' in that string.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)