[Coco] I am back to not being able to format a floppy, help plz

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Oct 22 20:18:40 EDT 2014

On Wednesday 22 October 2014 18:46:04 Tormod Volden did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 12:21 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com>
wrote:
> > On Wednesday 22 October 2014 16:28:30 Tormod Volden did opine
> >
> >> I am confused to what you are trying to do. Is your posted floppy
> >> format issue something to do with level3? The rest of the world is
> >> using level 1 or 2 as far as I know. Try to solve one thing at a
> >> time, would be my suggestion.
> >
> > I rebooted it again after coming home from the Dr's, this for about
> > the 20th time in the last 2 days, and it formatted the disk as
> > expected. Fluke I can't repeat? Damnedifiknow.
> >
> > If I can make a floppy boot disk that works with these newer, smaller
> > drivers, then I will make a floppy to backup to the default HD boot
> > vdisk.
> >
> > But I am still running down drivers & descriptors for stuff that is
> > not available in the 3.3.0 I just built.  I finally did find r0.dd,
> > to work with myram.dr, but had to go back to a disk I'd taken apart
> > with vfy years ago to find that.  That disk was, is, about 22 years
> > old.  I probably have it 4 or 5 other places on my hd, but stuff is
> > hard to find w/o a 2 pane file manager.  Yeah, I'd spoiled by mc on
> > linux. :)
>
> It's there: level2/coco3_6309/modules/mr0.dd
> mr0.dd goes with myram (the ram disk you wrote)
> r0.dd goes with rammer (another ram disk implementation)
> Their format is slightly different.

Ahh, no wonder it looked familiar when I did a dmode -mr0.dd.

> >> Probably something in the makefile you made. Maybe you should start
> >> with what I suggested in a previous mail.
> >
> > That _is_ the output of what you suggested.  It destroyed everything
> > I had done.  The first thing I have to do is fix the defsfiles,
> > level 3's
>
> No, running make doesn't change any source files, so that did not
> destroy your work. You messed that up when changing branches and
> "resolving" the conflicts. If you have uncommitted changes, it is best
> to save them somewhere before experimenting with mercurial.
>
> And no, the above errors are not what results of doing what I
> suggested on a clean nitros9 repo.

As I found out by doing a fresh clone of it without the branch switch.

> > makefiles and defsfiles are so old they are still calling them by the
> > microware names!
> >
> > But what good does it do me to fix it when I haven't the foggiest
> > what my old srcfrg login and passwords were 3 or 5 years back.  So I
> > am locked out from committing such fixes as the makefiles &
> > defsfile's.  That obviously is self defeating.
>
> Just post the diffs or send patches to me like last time. I will
> review and commit them to the repo.

I just sent you a makefile for the level3 directory.  To replace the
template, fill in the blanks version that is there now.

Thanks.

> Regards,
> Tormod

Cheers, Gene Heskett