[Coco] format problems in an mb script

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Oct 22 00:44:56 EDT 2014

On Tuesday 21 October 2014 23:16:07 Gene Heskett did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Greetings everybody;
>
> How does one go about tell format to quit yelling because its a hard
> disk when commanding it to format /sh?  /sh being one of the 254
> floppy images in hdbdos.
>
> The mb script says:
> echo * Step 1: Format disk in %1
> format %1 "NitrOS9v329sd2.1 lvl 3 Boot" R
>
> where %1 has been assigned to /sh.  From the help format the R option
> is supposed to tell it to go ahead, but it still says its a hard disk.
>
> I can do it by hand, by tapping y, but in the script it bails.
>
> Do I put a couple y's on the end of the commend in the form of "
> <y"(more y's if needed) or what?

That idea sank like a lead motorboat, so I ran it by hand and counted the
y's I had to give it, 3, and put them by themselves on the next line.
Works perfectly but will probably spit out file not found errors when
making a real floppy.  Those should be harmless unless you have an
executable file named yyy someplace. ;-)

But, now that the script is working, I need to convert it to a floppy
image so I have a reset & reboot from /dd rescue available.  Maybe
tomorrow after I get another shot in my left knee. Its making trips down
the steps to work on the coco painful, and possibly dangerous.

Getting old is certifiably not for wimps.  Put it off as long as you can
people.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)