[Coco] Which Coco Emulator for Raspberry Pi?

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 04:29:34 EDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 4:17 AM, Bob Devries wrote:
> Thanks, Chris.
>
> I cleared out all the old copies of mess on my BANANA PI (note, not
> Raspberry Pi, but should work the same) and tried to compile the version you
> linked to.
>
> Sadly, it failed in the link stage with the following error:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: obj/sdl/mess/libocore.a(sdlsync.o): undefined reference to
> symbol 'pthread_join@@GLIBC_2.4'
> //lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libpthread.so.0:error adding symbols: DSO missing
> from command line

Recent GCC versions seem to be more picky on the ordering of object
files and libraries on the linking command line. Check the printed gcc
command lines to see if -lpthread is towards the end of the line. To
fix this you will need to find the makefile (I assume the build
process is using make?) where the linking command is built up, e.g.
"$(LD) something". The list of libraries might be contained in a LIBS
or LDFLAGS variable.

If you pastebin the build log it would be easy to see if this could be
the issue. Especially the command line generating the error message
would be useful.

> I do have libpthread.so at: /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libpthread.so
>
> This is on LUbuntu 14.04 kernel 3.4.90 and GCC 4.8

The gcc version might be important. The kernel you are running does
not matter, only the kernel headers would matter if you were building
kernel modules. I am just saying that for clarification, if in doubt,
rather provide more information than less.

Regards,
Tormod