[Coco] Which Coco Emulator for Raspberry Pi?

Christopher R. Hawks chawks at dls.net
Thu Oct 16 20:52:22 EDT 2014

On Thu, 16 Oct 2014 07:18:03 +1000
Bob Devries <devries.bob at gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried again to compile Mame/MESS, but the compile fails with an
> internal compiler error (error 4),as well as complaining about a file
> having an EOF without an EOL(which it claims to fix itself). This was
> on my Banana Pi running LUbuntu, with gcc 4.8. I'm running a build on
> my Raspberry Pi, but that's been going more than 12 hours, and still
> going.
>
> Regards, Bob Devries
> Dalby, QLD, Australua
>

> On 15/10/2014 9:47 AM, Frank Pittel wrote:
> > I should start by saying I haven't made any attempt to run a coco
> > emulator on one of my RPIs. I have seen the efforts of Chris Hawks
> > though. It works very nice and if you didn't know you would think
> > he was actually running a coco.
> >
> > He put the PI in an old coco case with a board he (had) made to
> > scan the original coco keyboard and convert that to usb for use as
> > a keyboard for his pi.
> >
> > I don't know all of what he did to get mess to compile but I know
> > he removed some exteraneous "stuff" from the source so it would run
> > better on the pi. Maybe he could be convinced to post the source
> > files he ended up with and instructions on how to compile the
> > "mess".
> >
> > The Other Frank

    The source tree is at:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xprtyrercs03ins/sdlmess0125.tgz?dl=0

Simply download, untar and compile. (Yes, takes a very long time.) I
don't remember all the development libraries that I had to install, but,
when it complains, load the libraries.

It's a bit slower than a real CoCo, but, you can set some options to
speed it up. (like autoframeskip)

I seem to recall that Xroar simply compiled and works. It only runs
under X unless you can find the raspberry-pi specific source.
I saw it once or twice. Cirian??

Oh, and the article is:
http://www.glensideccc.com/data/library/newsletters/gccc32_4nl.pdf

Christopher R. Hawks HAWKSoft
--
A cop stopped me for speeding.  He said, "Why were you going so fast?"
I said, "See this thing my foot is on?  It's called an accelerator.