[Coco] coco 3 tape recorder replacement

Chad H chadbh74 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 15 13:39:51 EDT 2014

I have done this too, with laptops, desktops, portable digital recorders, etc with mixed results.  The digital recorders work great, my Acer laptop does too IF set properly.  My netbook I could never get to work reliability.  From what I've observed, if using the PC method, you MUST be able to plug your CoCo OUT to a AUX in on the PC.  if the jack is MIC only it won't work, this was my netbooks issue on recording.  My big laptop only had a MIC jack, but the drivers prompt for what's plugged in on it and I select AUX instead of MIC.  For playback, my sound cards (integrated Realtek) have some Dolby effects that are enabled by default.  These had to be disabled or the sound output resulted in errors.  I could never get it disabled on the netbook so failure there as well.    I use Sony Sound Forge to record 16bit, 22khz, mono .MP3.  To minimize file size but any lower and is not reliable in my experience.

On Oct 15, 2014 7:57 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
On Wednesday 15 October 2014 07:48:33 Didier Derny did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Is there any coco 3 tape recorder replacement
> by a connection to a tablet or a pc sound card ?
>
> I've checked on the web but I've not found anything
>
> --
> didier

I've not done it, but lots of people have recorded the cassette output
audio to a .wav on a pc, then played it back to the coco from the pc.  It
should actually work better than the cassette because it won't have all
the garbage in the play back that you get from a 30 dollar cassette
recorder because they all use magnetic bias from a small permanent magnet.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)