[Coco] A new idea for a CoCoSDC expander

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Oct 15 08:41:26 EDT 2014

On Tuesday 14 October 2014 23:41:50 Bill Pierce via Coco did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Ed, as far as I know, no one has ever built and tested?John's 8 slot
> expansion, or his 4-slot RS "clone" for that matter. I don't think
> John ever built one himself. He just did the design. He disappeared
> right after he made those posts to coco3.com. He also had Orch90,
> RS232, and FDC clones as well. Tom Gunnison has a 4 slot design that
> he HAS built but it's a little bulky compared to John's design. I also
> like John's idea of a "controller" that plugs into the Coco, cabled to
> a "main module" with the slots. ?
> ?
His 8 slotter was something I would like to try laying out in eagle, but
thats a big enough board to need a full license.  But the first copy would
need to be wire wrapped to bug check it.

> As for MPI "clones"... look through the old Rainbows, Color Computer
> Magazines, and Hot?Cocos, and you'll find 10-15 (if not more)
> different models that have been put out through the years.? Eveything
> from a simple "buffered slot expander" to a full blown unit with 1 meg
> of memory, built-in floppy and HD controller, 2-4 RS232 ports,
> P-Printer port etc. There have been many; from homebrews to "nicer"
> than Radio Shack's model.

Another consideration when we are playing this seemingly endless "what if"
theme, is the size of our machine.  All these things take kernel code to
run them, and we'll run into sysram limits long before we get enough stuff
in a kernel/os9boot file to adequately drive all 8 slots of the little
John design.  That, and the almost criminal waste of I/O space caused by
the incomplete decoding of CS signals in the basic coco.

My attitude about a new run of MPI's is that the existing design can and
should be simplified, the IRQ handling in particular.  What this would do
to its usefulness in RSBasic has not been well researched by me because I
really don't care about basic as it has limitations that disappear when
Nitros9 is loaded.

The os9boot file size limits could be handled nicely by drawing oneself up
a map of what vdisk contains the drivers you want to use at the instant,
and running an mb against that vdisk to generate that bootfile.  Then,
when you want to autoboot from the HD and use that particular bootfile, is
just a matter of looking up in your map, the right vdisk to boot from,
then "bootlink vdisk-number" which can be in the format of $80 or decimal
128 as a for example. Then its a matter of tapping the reset button to
reboot to that selected os9boot file. bootlink opens things up a bit by
making it easy to load a customized boot for a particular job.

So would making the level 3 stuff work, however I don't believe that can
be done and drivewire survive because it has no 'fences' between RBF and
SCF.

My thoughts on a level 3 run in an entirely different direction simply
because the sysram limit is such a limitation. I have been intermittently
thinking of a way to give each of the hardware drivers its own 8k block of
ram that is not subtracted from the kernels sysram, probably by adding
another allocator module to the kernel that each driver could call to get
its own working ram from the pool, something that could be done even in a
half meg machine but would need at least the half meg.

However, that would be a long slog redoing drivers to make use of it, but
it would probably, if fully done, give us as much as 24k of sysram by
taking that drivers scratchpad memory out of sysram and into its own 8k
block!

I'm still working out the details, and it may never happen, but I'll
probably start with the additional two kernel functions, wrappers for
calls already there, to handle it on a per driver basis, and use the
existing hardware deluxe 232 driver as a guinea pig.  On my system, its a
bit constrained trying to work in the 1k of ram setting because that ram
comes out of sysram.

Because the driver would be entered without that valid memory assignment
for each of the 6 normal functions, the first thing it would have to do is
make that call to get its own memory, and rewrite those 8 slots of the
gime that map it into the normal space.

I would probably use self modifying coding to save and retrieve its block
assignment. Its already being done in the TC^3 driver to save its slot in
the mpi, and has worked perfectly for about 3 or 4 years now.

The reason for using the existing 232 driver is that it would also serve
as an interrupt latency testbed at the same time. The nominally 15
microsecond IRQ latency would be stretched several 10's of microseconds
while doing that housekeeping, and that would be the acid test to see if
its a good concept. I know for a fact that this latency can be stretched
by at least 100 microseconds without throwing an overrun flag in the
sc6551 chip we use on a 9600 baud signal.  It remains to be seen how long
a delay the housekeeping would add, but I have a new 100mhz dual channel
digital scope that should make it much easier to measure that.  I tried it
out on the drivewire signals and measured the baud rate on my CC3, getting
something in the high 114kb (s/b 115.2Kb) range, which is far enough off
that I have 2 new usb-ser converters that will not work with DW at all.
Possibly the crystal in my coco is ageing flat, that is not impossible!

> Bill Pierce
> "Today is a good day... I woke up" - Ritchie Havens
> ?

> Co-Webmaster of The TRS-80 Color Computer Archive
> http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
> E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)