[Coco] Including an SSC

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Tue Oct 14 20:59:25 EDT 2014

Tony,
No devices whether on a y-cable or in the MPI can opperate on the same buss addresses. The MPI does not block the busses or it would be useless. You would not be able to use a floppy controller, hd controller and rs232 pak at the same time if that were true.
The whole point is that VERY few Coco program/extension paks with I/O are mapped to the same buss addresses. This is why I can have my FD-502, B&B HD controller, Orch90, and MIDI pak all online at once. It would work on a Y cable as well, as my Orch90 has the pin taped so the rom won't try to start.
Care has been taken through the years to try and NOT clash buss addresses. I only know of a few carts that cause problems in this area and I don't own any of them.
The only real problems with a y-cable if no buffers for protection, weak power supply from the cartport to supply multiple devices and roms. The MPI solved most of this (somewhat) and only started the rom on the selected cart, buffered the busses, and provided better power.
BTW... there's a document floating around that has "most" known bus addresses for most of the Coco carts.... somewhere. I have a copy, but I'm not sure if it's up to date.

Bill Pierce
?

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia