[Coco] At RadioShack, a history of hits and missed chances

Gustavo Ranaur Schoenaker ranaur at ranaur.net
Sun Oct 5 12:18:14 EDT 2014

Hi,

Here is my 2 cents tough. I live in a country with no Radio Shack, nor
similar, since 1990s. I understand that the do-it-yourself market has
changed a lot since the advent of internet. Nowadays you can buy anything
you want on amazon, adafruit, or worse directly from China (DX, Alibaba,
and so on). With this competition, the profit margins would lower a lot.

However, the DIY market can be made different. When you start a DIY project
you normally want the pieces as soon as possible. If you wait for three
week to receive your chip, you probably will loose interest in the project,
or, worse, will have other things to do. So, it is important to have
somewhere you can just go and buy the thing you need. It would be ever
better if this place started to gather other hobbysts with the same
interest, so you can find help and support for your own projects.

It was not on this direction Radio Shack took on last decade. If they want
to be another cellphone seller, they'll certainly loose their differential
on the market and will be "just another one" as fast as you can spell Tandy.

If RS want to get back into business, they should stop selling cellphone
crap and start investing back in the DIY market. Imagine if they have a #d
printer that you can hire to "print" your stuff? And how about having a
service to make circuit boards? And about helping people to develop
projects that need different skills (electronics, woodworking, robotics,
programming ...)

It will be a pity if nobody gets on this market.

But this is just my opinion,