[Coco] The next coco3.....wish list

Nick Marentes nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Sat Oct 4 20:11:12 EDT 2014

On 5/10/2014 10:54 AM, George Ramsower wrote:
>  I think that is basically what I was saying when I began this thread.
> Just a Coco3 with improved video for a modern monitor and a faster
> clock speed. It would have the expansion slot and the ports originally
> provided on the Coco.
>
>  Just a basic Coco3 on a new platform with faster clock speed.

Even recreating the GIME chip and all it's functionality is a big
project with the best way to undertake this would be using an FPGA. And
since an FPGA is software programmable hardware, adding features to go
beyond a CoCo3 would then be easy('er).

But wait a minute! That's what the CoCo3FPGA project is! Your wish has
been answered!

Now go buy a DE-1 FPGA board, download the CoCo3 core and you're set.
That's what I did and have a 25Mhz CoCo3 with extra color capability too.

Seriously, it sounds that all you need is a CoCo3 (from Ebay) and one of
the scandoubler circuits out there now. Add the CoCoSDC and you can
ditch the floppy drives and use SD cards and Drivewire (I did and have
never looked back).

All that you can't get is more speed because of the way the 6809 is tied
in with the GIME chip timings although upgrading to a 6309 will give you
a bit more with improved instruction execution speed (Nitros9).

Nick

Nick