[Coco] video composite on korean coco 26-3134A

Zippster zippster278 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 13:20:48 EDT 2014

Mike,

I made this board to replace the RF modulator box that was in my Korean CoCo2.
I removed the modulator, and soldered pin headers in where the inputs to the modulator
are.  Y, øA, øB, CHB, CLK, Sound, and +5v are all in these headers.
The area underneath the modulator is pretty much all ground plane, allowing me
to drill mounting holes for the board, and use standoffs to attach it.

Corresponding female headers on the board then just plug into the motherboard (except for
1 ground wire that needs to be attached).  Then I made a cutout in the back of the CoCo case,
basically expanding where the RF connector was.  It makes for a pretty neat installation.
(I’ll put some more pics up later).

I’m not sure if all Korean CoCo2 main boards have the same layout in the modulator area,
but  I think we may have the same model, so it should fit.

I know other CC2’s have differing layouts for the modulator area, but it’s easy enough to
lay out a board to fit those (with measurements).

I had also thought of the idea of a board plugging into the MC6847 socket, and moving it to
onto the board, which is a good one.  I’m planing on this approach for a Component Video
board I’m working on.  It would be pretty easy to socket non-socketed 6847’s if you’re willing
to sacrifice the chip (utsource has them, I think I paid $5ea for five).

- Ed