[Coco] [coco] The next coco3.....wish list

Bill Loguidice bill at armchairarcade.com
Fri Oct 3 10:57:28 EDT 2014

As was pointed out at the time, besides all the overhead Kickstarter
introduces into the process, Kickstarter is not where CoCo fans are (or
really any fans of any niche are). I think if someone were serious about
pursuing something like this, they could present their plan and compile a
tentative pre-order list from the participants on this list, the Facebook
group, and a few select online forums (AtariAge, Vintage Computer Forums,
etc.). Also, I think if there aren't reasonable targets, like "only"
needing 100 - 200 potential buyers, then there's probably no point. That's
probably about the max level of support that would be safe to count on for
such an endeavor, and even that might be a bit too ambitious, particularly
if the price is not low.

Of course there's always the argument that it could be pitched as a general
hobbyist thing, but that would be ignoring well established and usually
very low cost go-to devices in that area, like the Raspberry Pi and the
various FPGA implementations. In other words, that market is already set
for that kind of stuff, so it's really just the biggest CoCo fans that can
be counted on. I think that reality - beyond the usual inability to come to
a consensus for features/offerings - is what has stymied any efforts to
date.

There's another possible option as well. Someone like a Vince Briel is
expert at recreating various computer systems in a low cost way in the type
of low cost production runs I'm talking about (and I think is realistic).
That's of course assuming that the CoCo architecture can even be recreated
in the way he's done for platforms like the Altair, Apple I, and Ohio
Scientific. In any case, even if he weren't interested in working on it, he
might be able to offer some key advice from an outsider's perspective on
some of the ways he's able to do what he does on a regular basis. That
could certainly be one other starting point for something ambitious like
this that admittedly is constantly brought up for debate.

-Bill

Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade, Inc.
<http://www.armchairarcade.com>
Authored Books
<http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Loguidice/e/B001U7W3YS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_1> and