[Coco] Editor / Assembler / Debugger

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Oct 2 08:08:58 EDT 2014

On Thursday 02 October 2014 06:11:40 Didier Derny did opine
And Gene did reply:
> if wordstar was a joke, there is  tools I would like to find on coco...
>
> for some time in the early eighties, I used an assembler on commodore
> named "Carl Moser's Assembler Editor   (MAE)"
> it was for 6502, was a cool environment where you could at the same
> time edit/assemble and edit in the same environment...
>
> I hacked it to work with the 64k extension board for the cbm 8000
> so that even in case of crash (with a reset button installed)
> everything was still in the 64k board
> and I could restart it without reloading... (including the source code)
>
> it's exactly what I would like to find on coco

Under nitros9, I think this might be possible.  The OS treats extended
memory, as much as 2 megs, somewhat like a blank file system that it
formats the assignment table at boot or reboot time.  I think one way
around that might be to mark the individual 8k block somehow, as belonging
to your program, and the program could then ask for that 8k block, or
blocks, with a reasonable expectation of getting your data back.  If using
myram to manage the extra memory as a virtual disk, then it should be
possible to store on disk drive, a short data file that could be used to
regenerate the directory antry AND the myram allocation map which should
pretty much restore your access to your work,
> --
> didier

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)